What should be the design of a beautiful functional terrace? Check out our collection of contemporary terrace designs. We will share with you 20 professional tricks that will help you in choosing a project, will inspire you to try interesting forms of the terrace, think about building a shed or a gazebo on it. We consider five different types of terraces, their advantages and disadvantages.
Imagine how prettier your house when you add to it a beautiful terrace.
We hope our photos of terraces will be able to demonstrate for you this wonderful effect.
Perhaps our article will give you ideas for building your own terrace or for reconstructing an existing one.
5 TERRACE TYPES.
1. Terrace at ground level.Terrace at ground level - the easiest type of terrace. The level of the terrace either coincides with the level of the ground or is slightly elevated above it. The railing of such a terrace has a decorative function. In the project of the terrace, you can do without the railing, but you need to find other ways to visually emphasize the perimeter of the terrace. It is good to place in the plan the placement of boxes with flowers, benches and awnings.
Due to the fact that the basement terrace is close to the ground - its main task is to be well protected from moisture and rot.
For these purposes, a decking board made of wood-polymer composite (WPC) is used, which, having all the advantages of wood, is not subject to rotting due to the presence in its composition from 30 to 80% of polymer.
For the terrace you can use any other material intended for direct contact with the ground, for example, tiles. All materials for the construction of the basement terrace are processed with at least two layers of sealant in order to increase the service life of the underside of the flooring.
Various forms of the terrace, additional elements such as a shed, a gazebo, grill or pool provide the style and functionality of the projects of this type of terraces.
Terraced projects at ground level.
2. Basement terrace.Basement terrace - the most common type of terraces for the house. Usually it is located at the level of the basement of the house and rather high elevated above the ground. For safety, such a terrace is always protected by railings and includes stairs to access the garden.
An elevated terrace is built on pillars. After construction, the open space between the ground and the deck is decorated with a wooden lattice and plantings.
Projects of the basement terrace.
3. Two-story terrace.Two-storey houses, houses located on the slopes often require fairly high two-story terraces. They provide convenient access to the upper level of your home. On the other hand, the high beams of the supports of such a terrace can create an undesirable aesthetic effect.
The space between the supports can be closed with a decorative grille.
If the level of the two-story terrace is high enough, you can decorate the corner supports of the terrace with stone and use the space under it as a terrace at ground level.
Projects of a two-story terrace.
4. Multi-level terrace.Multi-level terraces are a series of terraces connected by stairs or walkways. Projects of multi-level terraces are great for houses on the slope. fit perfectly into a complex landscape. From each level of such a terrace a view opens up, each level has its own special area for rest and relaxation.
With the help of a multi-level terrace you can create your own special microclimate - one level next to the house, another in the garden under the shade of trees, another level in the bright sun.
Terrace projects in several levels.
5. Freestanding terrace.Detached terrace is not attached to the house. It is convenient in the event that the construction or arrangement of the house makes it impossible to extend the terrace. This terrace is located in a cozy corner of the garden and serves as a beautiful accent in the landscape design of the site.
Choose the type of terrace project that is practical for your home and garden.
20 tips before choosing a terrace project.
1. Experiment with terrace levels.Not enough space on the terrace? Move down. So you will not only create a beautiful recreation area near the house, but also break a long flight of stairs. Every corner of this terrace will have its own special atmosphere and functionality.
2. Beautiful railing.The railing not only ensures the safety of the terrace, but is also an important decorative element. Beautiful railings can turn an ordinary terrace into a completely amazing terrace.
3. Be creative.Alternatives to the railing of the terrace can be wide stairs. The wide staircase leading to the garden is an interesting element of landscape design and additional benches in the garden.
4. Play with the coloring of the terrace.You will be pleasantly surprised when you see how your terrace can liven up and update the overall look of your home.
5. Make a shed over the terrace.A canopy over the terrace not only protects you from rain and sun, it will turn the terrace from a beautiful outdoor area into an extra room in the open.
6. A variety of forms of terraces.Who said that the terrace should be rectangular? It can be round, with corners, complex polygon. Design any shape your goals and configuration of your home and site require. The unusual shape of the terrace will add real intrigue to your landscape design.
7. Create a mood.Terrace facilities, such as lighting, audio speakers, and grill, make the terrace a favorite resting place. Plan the necessary communications at the design stage of the terrace, instead of conducting an electrician on the already finished terrace and trying unsuccessfully to hide all technical communications.
8. Use quality hardware.Often, the terraces have to be repaired, not because of the deteriorated coating, but because of the cheap fasteners struck by corrosion. Use hardware specifically designed for decking or stainless steel hardware. Such screws resist corrosion and increase the life of your terrace many times.
9. Consider several flooring options.Wooden decking terraces always looks very attractive. On the other hand, high-quality decking is becoming popular. She has a longer service life and requires almost no maintenance. Before choosing a flooring for your terrace project, keep in mind that although decking for terraces is more expensive than wood, but in the long run, it will be more practical and cost-effective.
10. Terrace all year round.Usually we actively use the terrace in the warm season. A grill, a fireplace on the terrace will allow to use it more often and in the cool season.
11. Use local materials to finish the terrace.Usually, the bottom of the terrace is covered with a wooden lattice, but it can be decorated, for example, with natural stone.
12. Lonely place to stay.Even on the largest terrace, plan a gazebo or a secluded corner where you can enjoy peace and quiet.
13. Landscape design in view of the terrace.Beautiful flower beds near the terrace, flowers in containers on the terrace itself - all this will allow you to harmoniously fit the terrace into the general view of the garden.
14. Decorate the terrace.Use your imagination to add non-standard decorative elements to the terrace, such as a small pond or a modern fireplace.
15. Closer to nature.Whatever terrace project you choose, leave space for the site at ground level. So you can easily walk from the garden to the terrace and directly, and not from behind the railing, enjoy the views of the garden.
16. Open look.Where possible, try to use benches and flower containers as fences for the terrace. So you will have a more open view of the neighborhood. Be sure to consider the height of the terrace before designing similar elements of the terrace fence.
17. Easy access to the terrace.Consider in your project convenient access to the terrace from various parts of the garden and the house, making an exit to the terrace not only from the front door, but also from other rooms of the house, and also planning several stairs from the terrace to the garden.
18. The play of light and shadow.Combine open areas of the terrace with covered. So you can enjoy relaxing on the terrace at any time of the day.
19. Use the space under the terrace.If you are planning to build a high terrace, add to the project the use of space under the terrace - whether there will be a veranda, a workshop or perhaps a winter garden.
20. Let nature be part of your terrace.One of the advantages of a high terrace is the beautiful views of the surroundings. Adjust the design of the terrace so that you can enjoy the beautiful views from the terrace.